Nelson Cohen's Challah Bread
13WHAM's Alexis Arnold visited with Debbie Maruke, Executive Chef at The Summit at Brighton, and resident Nelson Cohen to make Challah Bread.
Nelson Cohen's Challah Break (Makes 3 Loaves)
- 1 ¼ cup warm water (90-105 degrees)
- 1 ½ packets dry yeast
- 2 ½ Tbsp. honey
- 3 large egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp. Oil
- ½ Tbsp. salt
- 3 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins if desired
- Combine ¼ cup water, yeast and ½ Tbsp. honey in a measuring cup. Allow to proof 5-10 minutes. Mixture should bubble.
- Beat egg yolks in a mixer bowl. Save the whites. Stir in the oil, honey, yeast mixture, raisins and ½ cup flour. Cover with a towel and let this sponge rest for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups flour, one at a time and mix well.
- Add additional 2 cups flour, alternately with the 1 cup of remaining warm water. Mix until smooth, cover again with towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead for 4 minutes with the dough hook tool for the mixer. Add small amounts of flour if needed until smooth and elastic. When pressed with finger the dough will bounce back at you.
- Remove dough from the mixing bowl, grease a large bowl with oil and put the kneaded dough into the greased bowl. Turn the dough over so all the sides are oiled. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm spot. (I preheat the oven to 100 degrees and then TURN OFF! Forgot to turn off once and what a mess!!) Put the covered dough in the warm oven and let rise till doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 3 parts. Divide each of those into 3 parts. Roll each part into a rope about 9 inches long. Put the three ropes side by side lengthwise. Braid the 3 ropes to make one loaf, pinching the ends under to seal. Complete the other two loaves.
- Place the braided loaves on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Using the reserved egg whites add a tsp. of water and stir. Brush the loves with the egg white and add sesame or poppy seeds if desired. Place the loaves in a warm oven to rise again, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Bake the loaves at 325 degrees for 10 minutes, raise the temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 15 minutes. Check to see that the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.