Easy-to-make recipes for Mother's Day
Henrietta, N.Y. - Mother's Day is fast approaching and one special way you could treat your mom is with a backyard picnic.
We were joined in studio on Good Day Rochester by Bryan Battoglia of BJ's Wholesale Club with a few easy-to-make recipes.
The recipes Battoglia shared with us can be seen below.
Chilled Cucumber Yogurt Soup
- 2 seedless Cucumbers, peeled
- 2 cloves peeled Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 cups Wellsley Farms Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Dill
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for serving)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a blender; pulse until smooth and consistency of creamy soup, adding more water if needed.
- Add dill and quickly pulse once or twice to blend.
- Spoon into chilled bowls or stemmed glasses. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately
Flank Steak Muffaleta Sandwich
- 1-1/2 cups Wellsley Farms Roasted Red Pepper, drained and cut into 1/2" strips
- 10 - 15 Pimiento-stuffed olives and/or pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar2 T red wine vinegar
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ciabatta rolls, cut in half horizontally
- 4 thin slices of provolone cheese
- 4 thin deli slices of Genoa salami
- 4 thin deli slices of Hot cappicolo ham
- 1 flank steak, about 1 1/2 pounds and 3/4” thick
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Place roasted peppers, olives and vinegar in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Transfer ingredients to a bowl and stir in the olive oil to blend. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oiled grill to medium heat (350 - 400). Season the steak with kosher salt and pepper.
- Grill the steak over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to your desired doneness, turning once. (For medium-rare, cook until an instant read thermometer registers 130, about 8 to 12 min.)
- Remove to warm platter grill. Let steak rest for 5 min. and then slice thinly.
- In order, layer bottom half of each roll with 1 slice of provolone cheese, 2 or 3 slices of flank steak, 1 slice of salami and 1 slice of ham. Top each sandwich with about 1/3 cup of olive salad mixture and place tops on rolls.
- Individually wrap sandwiches with plastic wrap, then chill at least one hour or overnight.
Watermelon Rice Krispies Treats
- 3 Tbsp. Butter, divided
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. Marshmallows, divided
- 6 cups KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal, divided
- 18 to 20 drops red food coloring
- 8 to 10 drops green food coloring
- 1 Tbsp. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Cooking Spray
- Microwave 2 Tbsp. butter in large, microwaveable bowl on HIGH until melted, about 25 sec. Add 3 cups marshmallows; toss to evenly coat. Microwave on HIGH 1 1/2 min., stirring after 45 sec. (CAREFUL: bowl might be hot) until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended. Stir in red food coloring; mix well. Add 3 cups of cereal; mix well.
- Spray an 8” round pan with cooking spray. Press red cereal mixture into center of pan, forming a 6” circle.
- In a separate large microwaveable bowl, microwave remaining butter on HIGH until melted, about 25 sec. Add remaining marshmallows; toss to coat evenly. Microwave on HIGH 1 1/2 min., stirring after 45 sec. (CAREFUL: bowl might be hot) until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended. Stir in green food coloring. Add remaining cereal; mix well.
- Press into pan, forming a ring around the red circle in the center. Press chocolate morsels into red cereal mixture to form the “seeds” as shown in photo. Cool completely and then cut into 12 wedges.
Citrus Tea Punch
- 1 cup water
- 6 Lipton Tea Bags
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Honey
- 2 cups Simply Orange Juice
- 2 cups Plain Seltzer, chilled
- 1/2 cup Tropicana Lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 1 Naval Orange, sliced
- 1 Tropicana Lemon, sliced
- 1 Tropicana Lime, sliced
- Ice cubes
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, add tea bags and cover. Brew 5 min. Remove tea bags from water, squeezing as you lift them. Stir in honey and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Combine tea with orange juice, seltzer and lemon juice in a large pitcher; stir in fruit. Serve immediately over ice in tall glasses.