Health in a Handbasket: Healthy holiday appetizers
(Fox Rochester) In this week’s Health in a Handbasket with the American Diabetes Association, nutritionist Emily Kyle shared with us a few holiday-themed appetizers that will please a crowd, while still being healthy.
She shared recopies for stuffed mushrooms, and mini pear and goat cheese tarts.
Both recopies are healthy and great for those with diabetes. However, just because they're health conscious, doesn't mean they aren't delicious!
6 extra-large white mushrooms (8 ounces)
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
¼ small onion, diced
¼ small green pepper, diced
2 ounces lean turkey breakfast sausage
2 tablespoons gluten-free bread crumbs
1 tablespoon reduced-fat, shredded mozzarella
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely. Set aside the stems.
- Place the mushroom caps in a bowl and toss them with 1 teaspoon olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Set aside the caps.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper, and mushroom stems and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the sausage and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sausage is completely browned.
- Add the bread crumbs, stirring to combine evenly with all the other ingredients. Stir in the mozzarella cheese and melt.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Fill each mushroom generously with the sausage mixture (about 1 heaping tablespoon per mushroom cap). Arrange the mushrooms in the baking dish and bake 40 minutes or until the stuffing is crispy on the top.
Mini Pear and Goat Cheese Tarts
14 mini fillo shells
1 1/2 cups diced pears, skin on (about 2 small bosc pears)
2 oz goat cheese
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange thawed fillo cups on to a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together pears, goat cheese, egg whites and ground black pepper.
- Fill each fillo cup with a heaping tablespoon of pear mixture.
- Drizzle to top of each tart with a little balsamic vinegar.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature.