Weight Watchers: Navigating fall sports season
The fall sports season is upon us. Football season is in full swing and the baseball playoffs are now underway. That can bring a lot of snacking on the couch while watching the games on TV.
Katie Bauer from Weight Watchers joined us this morning with some healthier snacks that can keep you from overindulging while watching your favorite teams.
Pico de Gallo
• 2 medium fresh tomato(es), seeded and diced
• 1/4 cup(s), chopped uncooked red onion(s), finely chopped
• 1 medium jalapeño pepper(s), finely chopped
• 2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
• 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
• 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
Combine tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a small bowl; toss to coat. Yields about 1/4 cup per serving.
Notes: Remove some seeds from the jalapeno to tone down the heat (do not touch seeds with bare hands).
Watermelon-Jicama Salsa with Lime and Mint
• 2 1/2 cup(s) fresh watermelon, seedless, finely diced
• 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked jicama, finely diced
• 3 Tbsp, chopped uncooked red onion(s), minced
• 3 Tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
• 1 small jalapeño pepper(s), seeded and minced
• 1 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Instructions: Toss together all ingredients; serve. Serving size: 1/2 c
Quick Beef Nachos
• 7 corn tortilla chips
• 2 oz thinly sliced deli roast beef
• ¼ tsp ground cumin
• ¼ tsp dried oregano
• 2 Tbsp shredded reduced fat Mexican-blend cheese
• 2 Tbsp sliced pickled jalapenos
• 2 ½ Tbsp fresh salsa
• Microwave 7 corn tortilla chips (in a single layer) for 30 seconds. Toss 2 oz thinly sliced deli roast beef, cut into strips, with ¼ tsp ground cumin and ¼ tsp dried oregano. Top chips with meat and 2 tbsp shredded reduced fat Mexican-blend cheese. Microwave 30 seconds. Top with 2 Tbsp pickled jalapenos and 2 ½ Tbsp fresh salsa. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Four Seasons Pizza
• Nonstick spray
• 10 oz pizza dough, at room temperature
• ¾ c prepared pizza sauce
• 1 c shredded part-skim mozzarella (about 4 oz)
• 5 oz frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, squeezed dry, and chopped
• 1 c sliced cremini mushrooms
• 8 large black olives, pitted and sliced
• 2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into strips
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• Adjust the over rack to lower third of over; preheat oven to 500?F. Stretch or roll out dough to 12-inch round; if dough begins to pull back, cover it with a kitchen towel, let it rest 10 minutes, and then continue rolling. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet, pressing dough back into shape as needed.
• Spread sauce evenly over crust, leaving 1-inch border around edges. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Top evenly with artichokes, mushrooms, olives, and prosciutto. Spray pizza lightly with nonstick spray and sprinkle with pepper.
• Bake until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Cut pizza into 6 slices.