Court rejects appeal in foiled New Year's machete attack in Rochester

Emanuel Lutchman, the man who pleaded guilty to planning an ISIS-inspired attack in Rochester back in 2015, was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison in January 2017. (Photo courtesy: WHAM)

NEW YORK (AP/WHAM) -- An appeals court says the courtroom outburst of a supporter of a terrorist group is evidence that he deserves his 20-year prison term for plotting a New Year's Eve machete attack in upstate New York.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan on Thursday rejected Emanuel Lutchman's appeal.

Lutchman was sentenced last year. He pleaded guilty to conspiring to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization, the Islamic State group.

MORE: Lutchman files motion to rescind plea agreement

MORE: 13WHAM Exclusive: Texts between Rochester terrorist and ISIS recruiter revealed

Federal authorities and informants thwarted Lutchman's planned 2015 knife and machete attack at the Merchants Grill in Rochester.

When he heard his sentence last year, Lucthman laughed, reaffirmed his allegiance to the Islamic State group and told the judge more people like him would "rise up."

AP-WF-12-06-18 1752GMT

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending